This page is updated continuously with new information. Please check back frequently!
WEATHER UPDATE: (Updated: 8/18/12 2:30pm) Scattered showers throughout the day today. The evening looks to be cloud with a chance of passing showers early on, but hopefully clearing up for the event. There will be no change in our evening’s schedule as of now.
The fires will be lit shortly after sunset (7:42 p.m.) and remain lit until MIDNIGHT.
Tonight’s Fire Sponsors are:
We are celebrating a 10-year sponsor partnership with Fidelity Investments with the symbol of the traditional Japanese crane meaning peace, fidelity and longevity! Be sure to come visit the Fidelity crane tent on College and North Main Streets and check out the illuminated blue neon cranes guiding the WaterFire boats through the rivers.
Northeast Chapter of the American Association of Airport Executives
WaterFire welcomes first-time sponsor, the Northeast Chapter of American Airport Executives to Providence, Rhode Island for their 54th Annual NEC Conference.
WaterFire’s Evening Events:
5:30pm – Midnight
- The WaterFire Store at Canal Street buy a hoodie, t-shirt, poster or local artist designed WaterFire pendant and support a great cause
6:15pm – 7:57pm - Capoeira Batizado on the Waterplace Basin Stage
- Enjoy the Afro-Brazilian martial art of Grupo Ondas that combines fighting, dancing, acrobatics, and music into a “game” that is as breath-taking to watch as it is to play!
7:00pm – Midnight at the TD Bank Ballroom: Salsa Night!
- 7:00 – 8:00pm: Join us for a salsa lesson by Tony Felix and Jeannie Oki
- 8:00 – Midnight: Enjoy LIVE music by Ray Rivera con Sabor Latino and dance performances by groups Mambo Pa Ti and Salsa y Control
7:00pm – 10:00pm - Interact with WaterFire!
- Explore WaterFire clue by clue by checking out any of the AT&T ‘hot spots’ throughout the park to help you jump start the WaterFire AT&T Scavenger Hunt
- Fidelity Investment employees and volunteers will help you create your own origami crane at the Fidelity crane folding tent on College and North Main Streets
- Be sure to stop by the Mohegan Sun tent on Canal Street (between Steeple and Washington Streets) for some great giveaways and chances to win some awesome Mohegan Sun prizes. Join us for more fun with Mohegan Sun on Saturday, September 1st.
7:30pm - Bolivian Performers on the Confluence (off of Steeple St. bridge)
- A traditional pre-Columbian Aymara ritual of fire and water will be performed by Fraternidad Folklorica Boliviana
7:30pm – 11:00pm
- Donate today by lighting a Luminaria
- Make it a Starry, Starry Night by wishing upon a star and become a part of the installation
- Special tonight! Show your support and be a part of the installation by donating and receiving a Ribbon of Light! There will be pink ribbons of light scattered among the station, winners will receive a $5 gift card for Dunkin Donuts. There will be one (1) special red ribbon of light which will give you and three (3) friends a VIP boat ride through the installation.
Sunset (7:42pm) – 12:30pm
- 80 Bonfires on the River accompanied by WaterFire Music
- Bolivian performers, Fraternidad Folklorica Boliviana and Capoeira martial artists, Grupo Ondas will join together to light WaterFire from the Waterplace stairs
- Followed by a torch procession to the Bolivian Urkupina Festival in the Bank of America City Center
8:00pm – 10:00pm – Catch WaterFire Performers along the River
- Spogga, the fire dancer, skillfully dances amidst the sparks spinning fire along the river
- World War Memorial: Be mesmerized The Gargoyles and the Oracles from Ten31 Productions
- Stop by to see Andrew Anselmo, The Origami Guy making paper come alive in Market Square
- Catch Mime Artist Michael Grando portraying Pierrot (Pedrolino) from the Commedia del’arte, in his naive and everlasting quest to win the heart of a beautiful girl; he will be making his way up and down the river tossing visitors complimentary carnations which reflect the connection between life and art
- Stop by Union Plaza to see the internationally acclaimed, award winning music and dance group, Inca Son. All dressed as their Inca forebearers performing enchanting melodies on their Andean pan-flutes
9:30pm – 10:15pm – Teach for America torch procession into the TD Bank Ballroom from Starry, Starry Night
- Join us in welcoming Teach for America teachers to Rhode Island
- Mambo Pa Ti and Salsa y Control will take the ballroom floor for one of the evening’s dance performances
9:45pm – In Memory of Dan Forman
Please join us in remembering friend of WaterFire and the community, Dan Forman. Dan will be honored with a memorial at 9:45 pm from the Memorial Boulevard side of Waterplace basin. For more information on Dan and his life please go here.
10:15pm – 10:30pm – Salsa performance on the Basin stage
- Raices Latin Dance group will perform to the WaterFire soundtrack
Other Events Throughout the City:
- The Rhode Island Bolivian American Association celebrates the 23rd Urkupina Festival 2012 with a full program on Saturday and partial festivities on Sunday, August 19th. The day starts with a solemn mass at St. Patrick’s Church on Smith St. and festivities kick-off with a Procession and Folkloric Parade from St. Patrick’s Church on Smith St. to the Bank of America City Center. Be sure to stop by the Bank of America City Center between 3:00pm-9:00pm for Folkloric Dance Performances. For details about the festival please visit the RIBAA website.
- RiverWalk: Before the Fires are Lit! Discover the winding history and continued importance of Providence’s rivers! Urban outdoor sculpture and beautiful civic and commercial buildings of varied architectural styles provide the setting for stories of Providence’s fabled past and dynamic present. Tours last 60 min. and depart at 5:30 p.m. from the John Brown House Museum on 52 Power Street in Providence. Tickets are $10 per person and may be purchased at the John Brown House Museum on the day of the tour. Reservations requested for this tour.
- Downtown Sundown Series at Roger Williams National Memorial from 7:30pm – 10:30pm. Come down to 282 North Main Street and enjoy a free Acoustic Music Concert with Lisa Martin & Brad Willard, Mark Cutler, Mary Ann Rossoni, and a Fuzek-Rossoni reunion set.