Many other special surprises and festivities will be announced over the next few weeks so stay tuned! (updated 12/11/13)
Enjoy the spirit of Christmas for two days at the 3rd Annual Very Special Christmas WaterFire Weekend benefiting and showcasing the incredible work of the Providence Rescue Mission and as a wonderful gift to the City of Providence! Thanks to an anonymous donor the 41 braziers running from Waterplace Park Basin to Steeple Street will burn brightly with Christmas spirit for two days this year! Festivities will commence in Waterplace Park at 5:00pm on Friday, December 13th and then again on Saturday, December 14th! The fires will be lit from 5:00pm-9:30pm both evenings.
[sc name=photo-caption caption=”Photos by John A. Simonetti, John Nickerson and Erin Smithers”]
Make sure to see the Festival of Trees surrounding the Basin in Waterplace Park. These trees have been sponsored by local businesses, check out our latest blog post to see the list of tree sponsors and get sneak peek at some of the ornaments crafted by local students.
“We cannot imagine a more beautiful image than the entire basin area of WaterFire burning bright, infused with a touch of the Christmas spirit and displaying trees decorated by our very own local businesses!”. -Sean Carew, Executive Director of the Providence Rescue Mission
For the third year in a row, WaterFire will transform Waterplace Park into a winter wonderland filled with fun family activities, musical performances, a festival of trees and much more. WaterFire will also be collecting new unwrapped toys which will be donated to the Providence Rescue Mission. Toys can be dropped off at the WaterFire Christmas tree in Santa’s Village in Union Plaza. The Providence Rescue Mission is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is 100% privately funded and serves many thousands of men, women and children in the Providence community. “We serve the poor with dignity and respect. We feed and clothe the addicted and homeless; our doors are open to all, free of charge.” says Carew, .
“WaterFire is excited to produce this wonderful event for our community for the third year in a row. In the hustle and bustle of the holiday season we sometimes forget to simply take a moment to breathe, reflect, enjoy and celebrate each other. We are also thrilled to partner once again with the Providence Rescue Mission, a phenomenal organization who extends the spirit of kindness, generosity and giving all 365 days out of the year to the underserved and homeless.” -Bronwyn Dannenfelser, Director of Development
Visit Santa’s Workshop on the Basin Stage!
Starting at 5:00pm, families are invited to join the WaterFire elves on the Waterplace Basin Stage to write letters to Santa, make ornaments and celebrate the season. Musical performances on the basin stage will begin at 5:30 PM.
Union Plaza transforms into Santa’s Village at the North Pole!
Stop by the Union Station tunnel and Union Station Plaza on both Friday and Saturday for musical performances, local handmade crafts, and Santa himself!
- Stroll WaterFire’s Arts Festival Plaza and the WaterFire Merchandise store from 5:00-9:00pm on Friday and 3:00-9:00pm on Saturday and let us help you with your holiday shopping! Located in the Union Station tunnel, visit local artisans from Wrist Candy Creations, Black Sheep Designs,K&T Jewelry & Accessories, Riker Art Glass, Bryce Studio, ClayFlora Inc, Swirls Jewelry, Liquor Wicks, Sterling Freshwater Pearl & Semi-Precious Stone Jewelry and Banana Threads to share their handcrafted wares and help you along with your Christmas shopping.
- Bring new, unwrapped toys to help the Providence Rescue Mission! WaterFire is asking for you to join us in helping the Providence Rescue Mission provide gifts for the less fortunate children of our community. Bring your unwrapped toys and put them under the WaterFire Christmas Tree both evenings from 5:00-9:00pm
- Stop in for some hot chocolate from the Providence Rescue Mission and learn about all of the wonderful services they provide to our community from 5:00-8:00pm on both days.
- Musical performances will start at the North Pole at 5:30pm
- Santa Claus is coming to town! Visit Santa at the North Pole from 5:00-8:00pm both nights.
WaterFire’s hand picked soundtrack will be playing throughout the event but WaterFire hopes that you will enjoy some of the live musical and choral groups on both Friday and Saturday:
- Musical guests on Friday include Barrington High School Choir; Sultan’s of Sax, an eight piece saxophone ensemble; Providence Gay Men’s Choir; No Strings Attached, a six piece brass ensemble from URI; caroling groups and, at 7:00PM, an audience sing along.
- On Saturday, we’re thrilled to present SouthCoast Children’s Chorus, a special performance by the Gondoliers of La Gondola Providence, Ye Olde English Carolers and a special feature performance by RPM Voices of Rhode Island. Caroling groups will also be included as well as an audience sing along at 7:00PM.
WaterFire is encouraging the public to bring donations of new unwrapped toys and gifts, food, clothing and other items for the Providence Rescue Mission.
Would you like to add your own light to the night for this joyful community event?
Sponsor a tree for WaterFire’s very special Christmas fire and festival of trees weekend to benefit the Providence Rescue Mission. WaterFire is looking for local Providence businesses and organizations to sponsor Christmas trees to surround Waterplace basin. Christmas tree sponsors will be provided with a fully lit Christmas tree to decorate in a theme of their choosing. Show your creativity, support your community, and help to bring the spirit of Christmas downtown this season! For more information on sponsoring a tree, please contact Corinne Barber at [email protected] or at 401-273-1155×140.