Supervisor: Kellie Martin and Gary Saint Laurent, Volunteer Coordinator
Term: Fall / Winter / Spring / Summer
Full-time and part-time positions available; flexible scheduling.
Compensation: Unpaid | May be used for academic credit, career exploration, or service learning. Applicants are encouraged to check with their Career Center for possible funding resources from their college or university.
Mission Statement of WaterFire Providence:
WaterFire Providence® is an independent, 501(c)3 non-profit arts organization whose mission is to inspire Providence and its visitors by revitalizing the urban experience, fostering community engagement, and creatively transforming the city by presenting WaterFire for all to enjoy and curating world-class art experiences at the WaterFire Arts Center.
WaterFire seeks a highly motivated, self-starting student who is energetic, a team player, results-oriented, and dedicated to the achievement of personal and team goals. This intern will provide support to the Volunteer Resources Manager and gain valuable skills and insights into non-profit volunteer recruitment and engagement. They will also have the opportunity to participate in organizing special events that enrich the culture and knowledge of volunteers, network with local businesses and community groups, and assist in planning and executing volunteer socials.
- Assist with recruiting volunteers, both individuals, and groups, from local corporate, educational, social, and recreational organizations
- Research and develop a database of new volunteer groups and individuals
- Assist with the execution of events, including coordinating supplies, setting up events, and leading volunteer groups
- Assist with managing orientation and training initiatives for volunteers
- Organize and prepare event materials and communications, including newsletters, email blasts, social media posts, phone calls, etc.
- Manage volunteer inquiries and registrations
- Assist in planning and executing volunteer socials
- Tend to errand running and shopping activities related to events and volunteers
- Manage small volunteer groups to complete tasks and projects related to event production
- Assist WaterFire Providence staff as needed with respect to event production and the organization’s needs
WaterFire is a seasonal event and responsibilities will vary accordingly per the discretion of the WaterFire Providence administration.
- Proven leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills and the ability to excel at multitasking, working under deadlines, and paying attention to detail
- Outgoing and motivated character, able to collaborate well in a team environment
- Previous experience with volunteer organizing, customer service, or event coordination is a plus
- Must be available to work all WaterFire Lightings throughout the duration of the internship
- Have a genuine interest in art, culture, and community, and WaterFire
- Be comfortable lifting at least 25 lbs
- Be Proficient in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word)
- Possess a valid Driver’s License and have access to a car
- Have a sense of humor and a positive outlook!
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please make sure to specify the term you are applying for.