Department Head: Paul “PK” Kochanek, Director of Events & Operations
Supervisor: Kris McKenzie, Events and Operations Manager
Term: Summer (All Full WaterFire Events (Saturdays) Mandatory, Tuesday Evenings after event days Mandatory)
Compensation: Unpaid* | May be used for academic credit, career exploration, or service learning. Applicants are encouraged to check with their Career Center for possible funding resources from their college or university.
Mission Statement of WaterFire Providence:
WaterFire Providence’s mission is to inspire Providence and its visitors by revitalizing the urban experience, fostering community engagement, and creatively transforming the city by presenting WaterFire for all to enjoy and curating world-class art experiences at the WaterFire Arts Center.
The WaterFire Events & Operations team seeks a highly motivated, detail-oriented student who is energetic, a team player, and results-oriented. This intern will work directly with the Events & Operations team and will gain hands-on experience in event management.
WaterFire seeks a highly motivated, detail-oriented student who is energetic, a team player, and results-oriented. This intern will work to prepare for and carry out WaterFire events, focusing on pre-event logistics including but not limited to assisting with securing permits, road closings, vendors, reception coordination, performers, and other administrative tasks. They will work within a team on event day and assist with the set-up and breakdown of all event-related areas and equipment and participate in special ops coordination. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone interested in pursuing a career in Event Management.
- Event planning and on-site execution of events, including set-up and event strike
- Set-up, and management of reception spaces, performance areas, and other activated event areas
- Procuring, organizing, and packing supplies for events
- Maintaining up-to-date event documents including contact sheets, production schedules, and other internal documents, as assigned
- Run errands and shopping activities related to events
- Conducting general research on new event concepts and designs
- Researching new vendors/performers and updating the databases
- Corresponding with vendors, performers, and affiliates
- Providing post-event input and analysis
WaterFire is a seasonal event, and responsibilities will vary accordingly per the discretion of the WaterFire Providence administration.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- A valid Driver’s License and access to reliable transportation
- Must be available to work all WaterFire Lightings (typically Saturdays) throughout the duration of the internship for full day/evening shifts
- Available to work Tuesday evenings (5 PM – 8:30 PM) after each event to assist with the unloading and loading of the event trucks
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills and the ability to excel at multitasking, working under deadlines, and paying attention to detail
- Outgoing and motivated character, able to collaborate well in a team environment
- Previous experience with event coordination is a plus
- Be a self-motivated, confident manager and capable delegator
- Be comfortable lifting 50lbs and standing for long periods of time
- Have a genuine interest in art, culture, community, and WaterFire
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word), Google Drive, and general computer and internet proficiency
- Have a sense of humor and a positive outlook!
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please make sure to specify the term you are applying for.