Saturday, May 16th 2015 – Partial Lighting
This event is being sponsored by Volvo Group of Companies in North America
The Volvo Group of Companies is a proud sponsor of WaterFire Providence, which will be one of the main attractions for attendees of the Volvo Ocean Race North American stopover on May 16, 2015. The Volvo Ocean Race is the world’s premier offshore sailing event, held every three years with in-port races at stopover cities around the world. The 2015 North American stopover will be held in Newport from May 9-17. Volvo supports initiatives related to arts and culture, such as WaterFire, in an effort to enrich and improve the quality of life in the communities in which we operate.
May 16th, 2015 Event Info
Sunset time: 7:59 p.m.
Lighting time: 8:19 p.m.
The braziers will remain lit until 11:30 p.m.
The Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover
This week the Rhode Island is playing host the Volvo Ocean Race for their Newport Stopover. The only North American stopover of the Volvo Ocean Race will be hosted May 5-17 by Sail Newport, Rhode Island’s Public Sailing Center, the State of Rhode Island Dept. of Environmental Management (DEM), Discover Newport, and the City of Newport. The twelve-day Stopover will be a public celebration and will include entertainment, a marine Exploration Zone, kid’s activities, a food court, team compounds, Heineken Docks beer garden, sponsor pavilions, a theater, up-close viewing of the race boats during the Pro-Am Race, the In-Port Race, and the Leg Start to Lisbon — all taking place within yards of the shoreline at Fort Adams State Park.
Fire Dancers Cirque de Light
Andrew Lindsay and Liz Knights from Cirque de Light will be performing during the WaterFire lighting ceremony and then several more times during the night on the piers in the Waterplace Park Basin.
The Mobile Museum of American Artifacts
6:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
The Mobile Museum of America Artifacts is a touring museum of personal objects and their histories. The have been touring Rhode Island all week and will closing out their stay in the Ocean State at WaterFire from 6:30 – 11:30 p.m.
The Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities at Brown University is hosting the Mobile Museum of America Artifacts for a week long residency in Providence, May 11th – 16th.
- Monday 5/11: 11-4 p.m. at the Bell Gallery (64 College Street)
- Tuesday 5/12: 12-5:30 p.m. at the Olneyville Library (1 Olneyville Square)
- Wednesday 5/13: 12-5:30 p.m. at the Olneyville Library (1 Olneyville Square)
- Thursday 5/14: 2-6 p.m. at Knight Memorial Library (275 Elmwood Avenue)
- Friday 5/15 4-9 p.m. at AS220 (115 Empire Street)
- Saturday 5/16 6:30-10:30 p.m. at WaterFire (Waterplace Park, near Francis Street)
Latest posts by Tim Blankenship (see all)
- Announcing the 2019 #Art4Impact Series and WaterFire Season Schedule - May 1, 2019
- Remembering Alice Boss-Altman (1943-2019) - April 10, 2019
- November 10, 2018 – WaterFire Salute to Veterans - November 5, 2018