Sponsored by: Alex and Ani, Bank of America, and the Walmart Foundation. With the generous support of the Textron Charitable Trust
WaterFire Salute to Veterans – November 8th, 2014 Event Schedule:
Sunset time: 4:33 p.m. | Lighting time: 6:00 p.m.
All Full Lighting WaterFire installations light up over eighty braziers from Waterplace Park to Memorial/South Main Street Park. Lighting for this event will begin 6:00 p.m and the event continues until just past midnight. Please check this page frequently for updated information. Updated 11/6/14.
The Salute to Veterans ceremony will begin at the Statehouse at 4:45 p.m. At 5:30 p.m. Banneker Industries helps to kick off the WaterFire lighting with a 150 Veteran Torch Procession and 300 Veteran Ring of Fire in Waterplace Basin. WaterFire invites you to join us just after sunset as Veterans of our community process into the basin led by the RI Professional Firefighters Pipes and Drums. Here they will join their brothers and sisters in arms to surround the basin in a ring of fire ceremony with a presentation of the colors as the National Anthem is played by the Army 88th Band on the basin stage.
4:00 p.m. – 9:00 Veterans Resource Faire on Washington Street
Sponsored in part by:
Featuring the VA Home tent, Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, RI 211 info, a Veterans photo booth, a Veterans Art tent, and food vendors.
Participating organizations include:
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) will be on site with their fully operational and connected job search assistance vehicle to allow veterans to search for jobs and to find employers that are advocates for veterans in the workforce.
- The Providence VA will have an entire tent dedicated to enrolling veterans in the VA healthcare system to address their health issues and ensure they are provided with the care and coverage they deserve.
- United Way 2-1-1 will also be on site with a fully functional RV to connect veterans with many resources available in RI including assistance in the areas of utility assistance, substance abuse and addiction, disability, housing needs, food assistance, child care, legal assistance and health issues.
- Stacy L. Pearsall, two-time winner of the NPPA Military Photographer of the Year Competition, and creator of the Veteran Portrait Project will be on the Washington Street Bridge taking photographic portraits of veterans and their families free of charge.
- Wounded Warrior will be on site to share their mission to provide programs and services to severely injured service members in active duty after September 11, 2002
4:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Alex and Ani Live Music Pavilion on Steeple Street
Featuring the Alex and Ani Bangle Bar, twitter wall and photo booth.
Alex and Ani Live Music Stage Performance Schedule:
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. – The Teri Giviens Trio
- 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – Blue Light Bandits
- 7:15 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Jimmie Allen & Colour of London
- 8:15 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Night Life Orchestra
The Fat Belly’s Irish Pub beer garden will be open to quench your thirst.
4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Memorial Park and College Street
There will be many patriotic displays and memorial ceremony taking place in park, be sure to visit the Vietnam Veterans Welcome Home Tent, the Missing Man Table, and the Soldiers Cross Memorial, for more info about these presentations please visit the WaterFire Salute to Veterans website. There will be a display of vintage military vehicles from United States Marine Corps on display on the College Street Bridge. There will also be additional food vendors on College Street.
4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Mystery at WaterFire! Book signing by J. J. Partridge on Canal Street
Come get Scratched a new Algy Temple novel from author J. J. Partridge. Copies of Scratched and the previous Algy Temple novel Straight Pool will be on sale and the author will be on hand to sign the books and talk with fans. “Scratched places Algy Temple, Carter University’s legal counsel, in confrontation with the ‘Ndrangheta, the notorious Italian crime organization, and the mob guys of Federal Hill, Providence. Threatened by the mob’s banker while investigating the suspicious death of a Carter University professor, Temple comes face-to-face with the reality of a 50-year vendetta still smoldering in the boot of Italy.”
3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Instameet at WaterFire Providence
Local photographer Mike Howell will be hosting the first ever Instameet at WaterFire. Join Mike and other local photographers to network and talk about capturing the magic of a WaterFire lighting through the lense of a smartphone. Follow @WaterFireProv on Instagram for more information.
4:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. – The WaterFire Merchandise Tent and the New England Chevy Dealers Vehicle Showcase
The WaterFire Store on Canal Street is open for business. Stop in and buy a t-shirt, hoodie, poster, magnet, pendants and much more to help support WaterFire and keep the fires burning. Also make sure to check out the Photos of WaterFire tent on Washington Street. This tent will have matted photo prints, featuring the work of our Volunteer Photographers; WaterFire Providence postcards; large format photo posters; and silk screen prints by local artists. Military personnel and veterans can save 20% by showing their ID.