WaterFire Providence, one of the leading creative placemaking practitioners in the country, is currently seeking an individual to join its Operations Team as Volunteer Resource Manager.
This position offers the opportunity to deeply engage with a growing arts non-profit and its community. Candidates for this position will have experience recruiting and managing volunteers in medium to large nonprofit organizations.
The Volunteer Resource Manager works cross-functionally, collaboratively, and closely with management, staff, and volunteers in identifying, recruiting, and managing volunteers for the WaterFire event downtown Providence as well as the WaterFire Arts Center in the Valley/Olneyville neighborhood.
The Volunteer Resource Manager will report to and work closely with the Director of Events and Operations to develop the strategy for building a strong volunteer program that meets WaterFire Providence’s short and long-term objectives.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL
- be skilled at building interpersonal relationships and working effectively as part of a team.
- possess the ability to balance multiple projects and thrive in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- be flexible and adaptable – very important in this rapidly evolving organization.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Plan the volunteer program/service
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer program which reflect WaterFire Providence’s mission
- Oversee and manage volunteer website and database including, but not limited to, updating volunteer description opportunities and other promotional pages
- Manage a social media presence by creating and implementing content for e-marketing strategies including e-newsletters, email blasts, and social media posts on Facebook, Instagram, and other social platforms
- Assess the need for volunteers to support all of WaterFire’s programs
- Create, grow and maintain relationships with over 200 volunteers
- Collaborate with the Development Department team to identify and engage with Corporate sponsor volunteer recruitment opportunities
- Develop and manage a budget for the volunteer program activities
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of programs and services delivered by volunteers and implement improvements as necessary
- Lead and manage all volunteer programs
- Develop, administer, and review policies and procedures which guide the volunteer programs and services, and reflect the overall values of WaterFire Providence
- Develop and administer forms and records to document the volunteer activities
- Prepare and deliver reports to management quarterly, annually, and as needed/requested
- Identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers and write comprehensive volunteer position descriptions in consultation with staff as appropriate
- Promote the volunteer program to the general public as well as the corporations to gain community support for the volunteer program and WaterFire Providence
- Develop and implement effective strategies and platforms to recruit the right volunteers with the right skills
- Develop and implement an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualifications, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of WaterFire Providence
- Implement a screening process for potential volunteers according to industry best practices
Lead the volunteer program
- Train staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers
- Orient volunteers to increase their understanding of the organization, sponsors, guests, and the role and responsibilities of volunteers and staff
- Ensure that volunteers are given appropriate training to be successful
- Ensure that volunteer check-in procedures are followed and records of volunteer hours are maintained according to established procedures
- Ensure that volunteers receive the appropriate level of supervision and support
- Assist with conflict resolution among staff, the public, and volunteers according to established procedures
- Establish and implement a process for evaluating the contribution of individual volunteers and teams of volunteers
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization
- Develop and deliver unique volunteer opportunities including family volunteering, board member volunteer experiences, school programs, voluntourism, etc.
Manage the volunteer program
- Evaluate the risks associated with each volunteer position and mitigate/manage them accordingly
- Ensure that volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Evaluate the contribution of each volunteer on an annual basis
- Prepare an annual report on the contribution of the volunteer program to WaterFire Providence
- Prepare annual reports for each corporate partner who sponsors WaterFire Providence volunteers
- Administer and monitor expenditures for the volunteer program against the approved budget
- Plan and host an annual volunteer appreciation party as well as monthly social events
- Planning and oversight of all-volunteer logistics and needs during all WaterFire Events
- Produces and manages schedules for volunteers working events
- Handles all volunteer communications both pre and post events
- Overseas Volunteer Boat Captains and boat crews on the river during WaterFire Installations
- Works with the Director of Events and Operations to ensure proper timing, choreography, and brazier feedings during WaterFire installations
- Oversees Volunteer Check-In area during events
- Maintains and inventories all WaterFire Volunteer Equipment needed for events
- Works with WaterFire partner resources to secure parking, meals, and other volunteer needs
Skills and Qualifications
- College degree required
- Experience in volunteer management including 5 years working directly with volunteers
- Ability to engage sponsors and corporations for volunteer recruitment
- Ability to identify and cultivate sponsorship, fundraising, and other revenue opportunities
- Ability to operate effectively in a team, contributing positively to team operations and working relationships
- Ability to handle flexible hours (availability on weekdays, weekends, and evenings is required including all partial and full lighting events)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Creativity, drive, enthusiasm, and initiative to carry out projects to conclusion
- Proficiency in Google Workspace required, experience with volunteer or project management software preferred
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
Compensation will be for a full-time salaried position which will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Advancement opportunities are available. Employee opt-in benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, and retirement savings plans. Paid time off. Job schedule is typically Monday to Friday; adjusted during events/programming with nights and weekends required.
- Please apply with Indeed.com, only. No telephone calls or emails, please.
- Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. The position is open until closed.
- WaterFire Providence is an equal opportunity employer.