This page is updated continuously with new information. Please check back frequently!
WEATHER UPDATE: Come join us on a beautiful late summer evening tonight!
The fires will be lit shortly after sunset (7:20 p.m.) and remain lit until MIDNIGHT.
Tonight’s Fire Sponsor is: Mohegan Sun
Be sure to come explore Mohegan Sun on Steeple St. Saturday night!
Mohegan Sun, owned by the Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority, is one of the largest, most distinctive and spectacular entertainment, gaming, shopping and meeting destinations in the United States. Mohegan Sun supports community organizations throughout the region. We are pleased to again sponsor WaterFire Providence, one of the most spectacular, artistic endeavors in the nation. For more information, please visit mohegansun.com
Also Featuring Free Yogurt in the Park!
“Müller™ yogurt is proud to be a sponsor of the 2012 WaterFire community arts event,” said Scott Gilmore, spokesperson, Muller Quaker Dairy. “We are excited to introduce our beloved European yogurt brand to the U.S., and we hope that the Providence community will enjoy it. Müller™ yogurt is delightfully creamy and deliciously fun to eat – we encourage everyone who tries it to tell us what they think on our Facebook page – www.facebook.com/mullerquaker.”
Müller booths will be in Waterplace Park offering free sampling of these totally new tastes!
WaterFire’s Evening Events:
5:30 – Midnight:
- The WaterFire Store at Canal Street buy a hoodie, t-shirt, poster or local artist designed WaterFire pendant and support a great cause
7:00pm – 11:00pm – On Steeple St.
- Join in on the fun with Mohegan Sun’s Casino 101. Learn how to play poker, blackjack, craps & roulette! Real Mohegan dealers will be on site to teach you the ropes and how to play the odds.
“Mohegan Sun supports community organizations throughout the region and is pleased to again sponsor WaterFire Providence, one of the most spectacular, artistic endeavors in the nation.” -Mohegan Sun
A Candlelit WaterFire Peace Walk presented with The Peace Flag Project in honor of the United Nations International Day of Peace. Gathering for walk in Union Station Plaza at 8pm; walk starts at 8:30pm. (WaterFire map, click here)
7:15 – 7:45 pm: Assemble at the Wall of Hope in Union Station Plaza
7:45 – 8:00 pm: Intros & Music
8:00 – 8:30 pm: Preparations & Start
Walk with a Luminaria Candle lantern for a $5 donation to support WaterFire Providence (available from 7:15 – 8:00 pm in Union Station Plaza).
Sunset (7:20pm) – Midnight
- 80 Bonfires on the River accompanied by WaterFire Music
Sunset (7:20pm) – 11:00pm
- Donate today by lighting a Luminaria
- Make it a Starry, Starry Night by wishing upon a star and become a part of the installation
- Special tonight! Show your support and be a part of the installation by donating and receiving a Ribbon of Light! There will be pink ribbons of light scattered among the station, winners will receive a $5 gift card for Dunkin Donuts. There will be one (1) special red ribbon of light which will give you and three (3) friends a VIP boat ride through the installation.
8:00pm – 10:00pm – Catch WaterFire Performers along the River
- Spogga, the fire dancer, skillfully dances amidst the sparks spinning fire along the river
- World War Memorial: Be mesmerized by the Gargoyles and the Oracles from Ten31 Productions
- Stop by to see Andrew Anselmo, The Origami Guy making paper come alive in Market Square
- Catch Mime Artist Michael Grando portraying Pierrot (Pedrolino) from the Commedia del’arte, in his naive and everlasting quest to win the heart of a beautiful girl; he will be making his way up and down the river tossing visitors complimentary carnations which reflect the connection between life and art
- Stop by Union Plaza to see the internationally acclaimed, award winning music and dance group, Inca Son. All dressed as their Inca forebearers performing enchanting melodies on their Andean pan-flutes
- Celebrate Peace. Celebrate Community. The Peace Flag Project presents the Month of Peace with a series of free public events. The kick-off will be the Peace Walk at WaterFire. For more details on other Peace Flag Project events for the month of September, click here.
- RiverWalk: Before the Fires are Lit! Discover the winding history and continued importance of Providence’s rivers! Urban outdoor sculpture and beautiful civic and commercial buildings of varied architectural styles provide the setting for stories of Providence’s fabled past and dynamic present. Tours last 60 min. and depart at 5:30 p.m. from the John Brown House Museum on 52 Power Street in Providence. Tickets are $10 per person and may be purchased at the John Brown House Museum on the day of the tour. Reservations requested for this tour.