In collaboration with the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation, the bonfires in the basin will be lit at 8:15pm with a special 150 person torch salute in honor of those living with breast cancer and those lost to the disease. This event will be preceded by the lighting of the rest of the WaterFire installation at 6:30pm. The fires will remain lit until MIDNIGHT.
Tonight’s sponsor is: Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation: Flames of Hope
The Flames of Hope: A Celebration of Life WaterFire was created to promote breast cancer awareness and education and to honor people living with breast cancer. It has grown into one of the largest awareness events in the Northeast with three inspirational days of education, support and hope.
WaterFire Schedule for October 12th, 2013
5:00pm – 11:30pm – The WaterFire Store
- The WaterFire Store on Canal Street, buy a t-shirt, hoodie, poster, magnet, pendants and much more to help support WaterFire and keep the fires burning.
WaterFire is honored to welcome back the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation as a WaterFire season sponsor and lead fire sponsor for one of the largest WaterFire celebrations of the year: “Flames of Hope – A Celebration of Life”. For the past 8 years “Flames of Hope” has been an incredibly touching and moving ceremony and community wide observation, serving as a testament to every person who has been affected by breast cancer. On this very special day and evening almost 100,000 members of our community join together to create awareness about breast cancer, celebrate the lives of those who have been touched by the disease, and share with each other messages of hope and support. So, on October 12th prepare for Providence to turn pink and help us celebrate the courageous men and women, and their families affected by breast cancer.
Throughout the weekend the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resource Foundation will be hosting celebrations, in which the public are welcome to join including:
Friday, October 11, 2013
- 6:30 pm Flames of Hope Opening Reception & Celebrate Hope, Celebrate Life
Saturday, October 12, 2013 – Station Park
- 10:00am – Flames Of Hope Run • Walk Series Registration and on-site sign up
- 3:00pm – Celebration Village Opens: Education & Wellness Pavilion Fun for the Entire Family
- 3:30pm Main Stage – Changes in Latitude: The Country’s Premier Tribute to Jimmy Buffett
- 6:30pm – Illuminations of Life Ceremony to Conclude with the Annual Torch Procession and the Lighting of WaterFire Providence
- 8:00pm – Breaking Boards for Breast Cancer
- 9:00pm Main Stage – The Ofﬁcial Beatlemania Stage Show
Sunday, October 13, 2013
- Flames Of Hope Run • Walk Series: (+)Positively Supported by: Alex & Ani
October 12th, 2013 (continued)
5:00pm – 12:00am – Experience RI Saturday Night Shuttle
Introducing a fun, comfortable, hassle-free way to enjoy Providence and support WaterFire for every WaterFire the rest of this season! For $10 per person ($5 for kids 12 and under), you can enjoy unlimited hop on/hop off shuttle service between some of Providence’s most popular restaurants and attractions andthe WaterFire Arts Festival Plaza. Now along with taking in WaterFire, you can dine at one of our great restaurants, or shop at some of our wonderful boutique stores, all while learning about our fantastic downtown on a narrated shuttle ride! At the same time, you will also be helping to support WaterFire, because $5 from every adult ticket purchased will be given back to WaterFire! So hop on board the Experience Rhode Island shuttle, support WaterFire, and have a wonderful time this Saturday night. To get on the Experience Rhode Island shuttle, park your car for free at exit 23 off I-95 at the State Offices parking lot. The shuttle picks up all passengers right at the entrance of the Department of Health building. The shuttle will come by every 30 minutes beginning at 5:00pm, and will go till 12:00am. Tickets may be purchased right at the shuttle. See a map of the route the Experience Rhode Island shuttle follows.
5:00pm – 11:oopm The WaterFire Arts Festival Plaza on Washington Street
With over a dozen local artists offering fine art for sale with a wide variety of vendors from paintings and photography, to handcrafted jewelry and ceramics, to glassware and more, you’re sure to find locally crafted treasures to take home with you.
Sunset (6:10pm) – Midnight
- 80 bonfires on the rivers accompanied by WaterFire Music
Sunset (6:10pm) – 11:00pm – Add Your Light to the Night
- Visit our Guest Stations where you can become a part of the artwork with your own Ribbon of Light; and our Ambassadors can answer your questions and guide you to next great event!
- Share your dedication with the world and light a Luminaria Candle Lantern ($5 per luminaria)
- Make it a Starry, Starry Night by wishing upon a star and become a part of the art! ($10 to hang a wish on a star and $30 to bring home your own illuminating blue star)
8:00pm – 10:00pm – Catch WaterFire Performers along the River
- Fire dancers, skillfully dance amid the sparks spinning fire along the river; you can find them performing on the boats and on ‘The Wall” of braziers in Memorial Park throughout the night
- World War Memorial (in Memorial Park): Be mesmerized The Gargoyles and the Oracles from Ten31 Productions
- Stop by Union Plaza to see the internationally acclaimed, award winning music and dance group, Inca Son. All dressed as their Inca fore-bearers performing enchanting melodies on their Andean pan-flutes.