Grab Your Paddles and Help Us Light Up the River
During WaterFire Providence’s Clear Currents Event On Saturday, July 9th & August 20th.
What is Clear Currents?
Clear Currents is the portion of the evening’s WaterFire lighting that incorporates 100 illuminated Japanese koi (fish) temporarily mounted on canoes and kayaks that registered participants will paddle up and down the river after sunset. The light from these brightly colored fish will beautifully compliment the 80 wood burning braziers installed on the river!
Sign up now for August 20th (ticket sales will close at noon on 8/15/2016)
How Can You Participate?
WaterFire Providence is looking for experienced paddlers, who own a canoe or kayak, to sign up and join us as participants in this unique on-the-water event. Here’s your chance to play an active role in this truly unique work of art! Don’t miss this opportunity to experience WaterFire up close and personal from right on the river!
WaterFire is requesting a minimum participation fee to help cover the cost of materials for this exciting event. The fee includes a Clear Currents commemorative T-Shirt for registered participants.
- $50 for a one person Kayak (solo kayaks only please*)
- $60 for a two person Canoe (canoes must have 2 paddlers)
- $15 for an additional paddler position
All participants must be 18+ years old or be accompanied on board by a experienced paddler who is over the age of 18.
- Participants must have their own canoes/kayaks. WaterFire Providence does not provide or rent any vessels.
- Stand-up Paddle Boards are not permitted.
- Sit-on-top kayaks are not permitted.
- Inflatable kayaks are not permitted.
- Due to safety and spacial awareness on the river, no vessel may exceed 14′ in length.
* Tandem kayaks will be considered on a case by case basis. Due to safety and spacial awareness on the river, no vessel may exceed 14′ in length.
If you have any questions please email them to WaterFire Providence at email@example.com
- On the day of the event participant check-in will take place from 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. at the Providence River Park public canoe/kayak launch ramp located at 205 South Water Street.
- From 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. participants will receive a final on-river orientation covering important event information.
- There will be a pre-event break for paddlers from 6:00 – 6:30 p.m.
- After which “Schools” of paddlers/fish will then “swim” up and down the river from 7:00 – 11:00 p.m. throughout the half mile long (one way) WaterFire river installation.
- Maps, parking info, and a more detailed timeline will be sent to all participants the week before the event.
- Participants must provide their own canoe/kayak, paddle(s) and personal flotation device(s).
- WaterFire Providence will provide the illuminated fish and all appropriate mounting devices. The illuminated fish will be installed in/on your canoe or kayak in a temporary, non-destructive fashion.
- No physical alterations will be made to your boat!
- Solo kayaks only please.* Due to safety considerations outrigger, or inflatable vessels are not allowed.
- All participants will receive an email with detailed logistical information during the week prior to the day of the event.
- All participants are required to complete a WaterFire Release and Waiver of Liability Form prior to launching their boat on the river.
- WaterFire Providence will offer full refunds until the close of ticket sales on August 15th, 2016. After the close of ticket sales there will be a cancellation fee of $15 for all cancelled registrations.
- Refunds must be requested in writing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The WaterFire lighting and all associated events are considered to be “rain-or-shine” events. We will make every effort to ensure the safety and comfort of all of our participants and visitors. A forecast of rain/rain showers will not cancel the event.
- Should the WaterFire lighting or the Clear Currents event be cancelled for any reason WaterFire Providence will issue a full refund to all registered participants.